An attack on an American drone is Putin's petty dirty trick: what effect did he want to achieve
On March 14, Russia shot down a US MQ-9 Reaper drone over the Black Sea. This incident is yet another standard provocation by the Kremlin, as it is afraid of a serious challenge to Washington.
Therefore, the Russians are trying to inflict at least such harm. This opinion was expressed by a political scientist and sociologist from Germany, Igor Eidman , to Channel 24 .
What are the consequences for Russia will have losses MQ-9 Reaper
In addition, to do it in such a way that later in front of their “television audience of a small mind” they pretend that Russia is still capable of something. At the same time, trying not to provoke serious consequences.
This will not have any serious consequences, at least until the next similar or more serious incident, the political scientist noted.
The United States has already said it has remotely deleted the confidential software of the MQ-9 Reaper drone, so Russia will not be able to obtain American technology. In addition, according to the political scientist, the incident with the loss of the American drone will not have a serious propaganda effect.
What is Putin trying to achieve with such actions?
Russia is terribly afraid of the entry of the North Atlantic alliance into the war. The shooting down of the American MQ-9 Reaper drone cannot be called an attempt by the Kremlin to directly drag NATO into the war.
Of course, if Russia dragged the NATO countries into the war, then the fate of the Putin regime and its future would be measured not even in months, but in days before it would be destroyed by the might of the American army. the political scientist said.
According to him, this is why the Russians do not attempt to shoot down planes or sink ships of the Alliance member countries, but resort to such damage. Yes, Russian dictator Vladimir Putin wants to do at least some dirty trick and please his television audience a little.
Russia shot down an American MQ-9 Reaper: what is known
- On March 14, the Russians damaged an American reconnaissance drone in the sky over the Black Sea. A Russian Su-27 fighter jet crashed into an MQ-9 Reaper, causing the UAV to fall into the water.
- Russia intends to raise the wreckage of the downed American MQ-9 Reaper drone from the Black Sea. However, the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, noted that the drone most likely went deep under water. So it will be very difficult for someone to lift it from a depth of 1.2 – 1.5 kilometers.
- NSDC Secretary Oleksiy Danilov commented on the incident. In his opinion, the downing of a US drone by Russia is Putin's signal of readiness to expand the conflict zone with the involvement of other parties.
- Pentagon Chairman Lloyd Austin spoke with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu about what happened in the Black Sea. This is their third conversation since the start of Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
- The head of the Pentagon stressed that he conveyed one important message to the Russian Defense Minister – the United States will continue to fly where international law allows it.