Diplomats and regional leaders are now trying to involve the warring parties in the negotiations.
On Tuesday, the Ethiopian government declared a state of emergency for six months. It came days after Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and the capital city urged Ethiopians to take up arms to defend their neighborhoods from the opposition Tigray Defense Forces (TDF).
CNBC writes about it.
A year after the start of a military confrontation between the Ethiopian authorities and anti-government forces, the rebels are planning another offensive on the capital of the country “in order to overthrow the government.” As a result, the Ethiopian authorities, led by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali, on Friday called on citizens to mobilize and take up arms.
After that, on Tuesday, November 9, the authorities declared a state of emergency for six months, as a result the creation by five anti-government groups of an alliance called the United Front of Ethiopian Federalists and Confederals to Overthrow the Government.
In addition, there have been reports that government forces have seized Tigray residents in the capital, raising concerns about ethnically motivated violence.
Diplomats and regional leaders are now trying to engage warring parties in negotiations. They fear a large-scale military collapse of the second most populous country in Africa.
A year ago, November 4, 2020, between the federal government of Ethiopia and local authorities In the Tigray region, an armed conflict broke out, caused by long-standing disagreements between Abiy Ahmed Ali and the ruling Popular Front for the Liberation of Tigray party. The Prime Minister tried to reduce the influence of the NFVT since the beginning of his term. The party ignored some federal acts and instructions in the region.
As a result of the military operation, the Ethiopian government army was able to oust the opposition from the main cities and regain control over most of Tigray. Despite this, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Tygra continued to resist.
Then, in June 2021, anti-government forces launched an offensive again. Towards the end of the month, Ethiopian troops and their allies drove the enemy out of the central and eastern Tigray for the second time. This time, government forces advanced all the way to the capital Mekele.
Since then, there has been a virtual guerrilla war in the region, with rebels shooting down government planes and attacking military columns.
On Wednesday, the Office of the UN Human Rights Commissioner and the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission published a joint report documenting human rights violations by all parties to the conflict against the civilian population of Tigray.
< p>The joint investigation showed that “there are reasonable grounds to believe that all parties to the conflict in Tigray violated international human rights, humanitarian law and refugee rights to varying degrees, and some of the actions committed may be considered war crimes and crimes against humanity.” p>
“States with an interest in the situation urgently need to establish and support an independent international investigation mechanism that can provide reliable oversight, preserve evidence for future litigation and facilitate prosecution,” said Human Rights Watch spokesperson Laetitia Bader. p>
The US Embassy in Addis Ababa, in turn, allowed embassy staff and their families to leave the country after Washington said it was “seriously concerned” about the expansion and escalation of hostilities in the country. The states also called on US citizens living in Ethiopia to flee the country if possible.
Recall, on November 7, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement recommending that Ukrainian citizens temporarily refrain from traveling to Ethiopia amid the escalating security situation and the introduction of the state of emergency in this country.