Burnt cars and broken windows: in Atlanta, activists protested against the police



Green activist protests took place in the state of Georgia in America. This happened after the police killed a 26-year-old boy who prevented the scandalous construction of the training center.

It is noted that activist Manuel Esteban Paez Teran encamped at the construction site of the Police City training center. The implementation of the $90 million project involves the destruction of more than 30 hectares of forest.

Which version of the police

Atlanta law enforcement officials say that Teran, despite verbal warnings, shot one of the police officers. Consequently, the police fired back and killed the activist.

After that, a protest took place in the center of Atlanta, which escalated into clashes with the police. Protesters threw rocks, lit flares, smashed windows and even set a police car on fire.

Atlanta Police Chief Darin Shirbaum said during a press conference that authorities had arrested six people and seized explosive devices from them. According to him, none of the citizens and law enforcement officers were injured.

Violence and illegal destruction of property are not acts of protest. These are crimes that will not be tolerated,” Schirbaum said.

Opponents of the training center have been protesting for over a year and have literally lived at the construction site. According to them, this project involves cutting down a significant number of trees, which will damage the environment.

What the protesters say

Activists say Teran was a “protector of the forest” who fought against environmental racism. The 26-year-old Teran was also known as Tortugita. He called himself a non-binary person.

The mother of the murdered activist said she did not believe the stories of law enforcement officers. The woman did not know that her son had a gun. However, she claims that “if he had a gun, then to protect against animals in the forest.”

Protests in Atlanta/Photo by Associated Press

Teens commit murder in Toronto: what is known

A gruesome murder has occurred in Toronto. There, 8 teenage girls stabbed a 59-year-old homeless man with a knife. He was taken to the nearest hospital, where he later died.

Eight girls accused of murder have already been detained and taken into custody. It is known that they are very young: three girls are 13 years old, three are 14, and two are 16. The police noted that the girls met through social networks. They came from different parts of the city.

Three of the girls had “preliminary contacts” with the police. Toronto Mayor John Tory said he was “deeply concerned” about the case.

Leave a Reply