Macron on EU candidate status for Ukraine/Channel 24 collage
On June 23, Ukraine officially received the status of a candidate for EU membership. According to European politicians, this is the right gesture on the part of Europe.
This, in particular, was emphasized by French President Emmanuel Macron during a press conference on the results of the summit of EU leaders, Channel 24 reports.
Warning for Russia: what Macron said
According to the French leader, the EU decision will be a signal for the aggressor country and its leaders.
The status of a candidate is a very strong signal for Russia, he said.
He believes that today the right political gesture was made by a strong and united Europe, however, Ukraine will have to make considerable efforts to become a full-fledged member of the union.
It will be a long journey, it will be demanding. Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia have everything to move quickly in the processes of European integration,” Macron said.
At the same time, the French president stressed that his country, like other European countries, is ready to provide assistance in the reform process.
Ukraine received EU candidate status: world reaction
- On June 23, European Council President Charles Michel confirmed the granting of EU candidate status to Ukraine and Moldova.
- President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky reacted to the historical news. According to him. Now our country has won the victory that it has been waiting for 120 days and 30 years. In addition, Zelensky thanked Charles Michel and Ursula von der Leyen, who called on the summit participants to vote “for” granting the status of an EU candidate to Ukraine. She stressed that Ukraine is the only state where people were shot for wrapping themselves in the European banner.
- The head of the European Council, Charles Michel, congratulated the peoples of Ukraine and Moldova on obtaining the status of a candidate for EU membership.< /li>
- The decision was commented by the Vice Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration of Ukraine Olha Stefanishyna. According to her, Ukraine is already working on further steps and reforming the country, despite the war.
- Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Ruslan Stefanchuk stressed that the Ukrainians have achieved the desired result thanks to the strong support from the peoples of the EU.
- Head of the Office of the President Andriy Yermak expressed gratitude to the leaders of the EU countries, the Presidents of the European Commission and the European Council.
- Portuguese Prime Minister António Costa said that Ukraine's European integration could lead to the collapse of the EU, not its strengthening. In addition, the politician suggested that the path to the European Union could “become a trap” directly for our state if “inconsistent decisions” are made.