France does not exclude that it can supply Ukraine with Leclerc tanks. On January 22, French leader Emmanuel Macron named three conditions for the transfer of Leclerc tanks to Ukraine.
Macron said he did not rule out the supply of French Leclerc tanks to Ukraine. He stated this at a press conference with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in Paris.
Macron asked the Minister of the Armed Forces to work on a decision on tanks
“With regard to Leclerc, I have asked the Minister of the Armed Forces to work on it. Nothing is excluded and it is really evaluated collectively,” said the French President.
Macron's conditions state that the decision to transfer tanks to Ukraine:
- should not cause an escalation;
- tanks must provide real and effective support to the Ukrainian army;
< li>The decision should not weaken France's defenses.
France may push Germany to hand over Leopard 2 to Ukraine
- In early 2023, France unexpectedly took the lead in terms of military support for Ukraine. It was Macron's decision to transfer AMX-10 RC light tanks and ACMAT Bastion armored personnel carriers that provoked similar decisions from other countries.
- In particular, after that, Poland and the UK agreed to transfer tanks to Ukraine. Also, Germany and the United States decided to supply BMPs to Ukraine.
- Politico reported that the French are considering sending their own Leclerc tanks to Ukraine to help Germany dare to supply Leopard tanks. After all, before Olaf Scholz said that Germany would act only in coordination with international partners.
- Scholz at a press conference with Macron, answering a question about German Leopard tanks, said that “the way we acted in past, is always closely coordinated with our friends and allies, and we will continue to act in accordance with the specific situation.”
- As you know, on January 20, a meeting was held in the Ramstein format, where tanks for Ukraine were discussed. Unfortunately, the Allies did not agree on tanks, in particular because of Germany.