Millions of losses and abuses: what is known about the scandals around the Ministry of Defense

news

Million losses and abuses: what is known about the scandals around the Ministry of Defense

< p _ngcontent-sc100="" class="news-annotation">At the beginning of 2023, a lot of scandals connected with the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine. Despite the war with Russia, abuse and corruption are recorded in the department.

A series of checks in the defense department began after the publication “Zerkalo Nedeli” reported on the contract of the Ministry of Defense for the purchase of products. After that, many officials left the department, and cases of corruption were also recorded. Channel 24 talks about all the recent scandals in the Ministry of Defense.

So, the first high-profile scandal erupted after Zerkalo Nedeli published a copy of the agreement worth 13.16 billion hryvnia, which was concluded on December 23 by the Ministry of Defense for catering services in 2023 for several military units.

The media compared prices with those in the Silpo chain of stores in a residential area of ​​Kyiv. It turned out that the prices for the most popular products purchased by the Ministry of Defense were overestimated by 2-3 times.

After that, on January 22, the Ministry of Defense came out with a refutation of the information, and also announced an internal audit.

Information about the content of the purchases of food services that have become widespread in the public space is being disseminated with signs of deliberate manipulation and is misleading, the Ministry noted. knowingly false information.

On January 23, Reznikov posted a message on Facebook, in which he wrote that the scandal with the purchase of products for the military was artificial. According to him, this is an information attack against the department.

In his message, Reznikov explained why the prices were too high. For example, it turned out that eggs are not counted by the piece, but in kilograms.

Finally, the minister announced a reform with the purchase of products, and also supported the initiative of people's deputies to make part of defense purchases open.

< strong>On January 23, NABU and SAP reported that they were investigating possible abuses in the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine and opened criminal proceedings. It is known that NABU and SAPlaunched an investigation based on their own developments.

It should also be noted that against the backdrop of the scandal, Prime Minister Denis Shmihal ordered on January 30 to develop an updated procurement system.

The food supplier of the Ministry of Defense reacted to Searches

Aktiv Company, which supplies products for the Armed Forces of Ukraine, responded to searches and accusations from the DBR and SBU. They claim that they did not supply products at inflated prices and did not receive funds under contracts in 2023.

The company said that DBR detained one of their regional managers due to allegations of shipping products from one of the military units “only on paper”.

On January 24, Deputy Defense MinisterVyacheslav Shapovalov resigned. It was heresponsible for the logistics support of the soldiers of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The Ministry of Defense said that the deputy minister asked to be fired, and Reznikov had already supported the resignation.

“Despite the fact that the voiced accusations are unfounded and unfounded, Shapovalov's announcement of his dismissal is a worthy deed in the traditions of European and democratic politics, a demonstration that the interests of defense are higher than any offices or chairs,” the Defense Ministry said.

Vyacheslav Shapovalov was arrested/Channel 24 Collage

On January 25, it became known that the Ministry of Defensefired the director of one of the departments, Bohdan Khmelnitsky. He alsoinvolved in the scandal over food purchases for the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

At the same time, MP Yaroslav Yurchyshyn said that Bohdan Khmelnytsky, responsible for procurement, was removed from office in December 2022 and fired on the 20th of January 2023.

Pay attention. On February 1, Ukrayinska Pravda published information that the Office of the Prosecutor General had reported suspicions to the former head of the State Procurement Department of the Ministry of Defense Bogdan Khmelnytsky, the former Deputy Minister of Defense Vyacheslav Shapovalov, and the former deputy of the Promoboronexport state enterprise Vladimir Tereshchenko.

Subsequently, the DBR confirmed that about the suspicion to the dismissed Deputy Minister of Defense of involvement in the purchase of products at inflated prices and low-quality ammunition. Probably, it was about Shapovalov.

“He lobbied for the conclusion of contracts for the supply of products for the military at inflated prices, as well as the purchase of bulletproof vests, helmets, clothing and other low-quality items for the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine for a total amount of more than UAH 1 billion. All contracts were concluded by full subscription,” the source said. in the DBR.

The court arrested Bohdan Khmelnytsky/Photo by the SBU

On the same day, the SBU announced that it had exposed the former head of the department of the Ministry of Defense for embezzling more than 100 million hryvnias of state funds. Probably, it was about Bogdan Khmelnitsky.

Important! On February 2 the court arrested Shapovalov and Khmelnitsky. However, both can be bailed out.

Whom else have the law enforcers exposed

Also on February 2, the DBR announced thatthey had exposed the criminals who embezzled funds intended to feed military personnel. One of the firms supplied eggs at inflated prices for the Ministry of Defense.

The criminal group of 5 people included representatives of supplying enterprises and the military, responsible for providing one of the military units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Investigators also detained a serviceman who was doing the “black bookkeeping” of the schemers. The amount of the established damage to the state is4.6 million hryvnia.

On Friday, February 3, the Office of the Prosecutor General reported thattwo heads of enterprises are suspected of embezzling 120 million hryvnia< /strong> for the purchase of products for the Ministry of Defense. Suspicion was reported to two heads of enterprises.

According to the investigation, the suspects, having received funds allocated by the Ministry of Defense for payment for the supply of goods and services to provide food to the Armed Forces of Ukraine, sent them not for their intended purpose, but brought them into a shadow, uncontrolled by the state circulation.

On February 3, the Office of the Prosecutor General announced thatadviser to Deputy Minister of Defense was exposed.

According to the investigation, the adviser, in collusion with the director of the company, took possession of the funds received under contracts for the supply of military goods for the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

These funds were allocated by the Ministry of Defense. By such actions, the state caused more than 1.7 million hryvnias of damage. The Office of the Prosecutor General has not yet named the person involved in the case.

Advisor Deputy Reznikov is suspected of embezzling 1.7 million hryvnia /Photo by the Office of the Prosecutor General

< h2 class="anchor-link" id="3" name="3">Barracks Scandal

On February 3, the Office of the Prosecutor General announced that it had exposed Defense Ministry officials involved in embezzlement of funds for the construction of barracks for military personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. We are talking about the amount of more than 5.4 million hryvnia.

The investigation found that the lieutenant colonel of the defense department did not control the overhaul of the barracks of one of the military camps.

During 2016-2018, this lieutenant colonel certified the acceptance certificates for the completed construction work. However, the documents indicated their volumes, many times higher than the actual ones.

It is reported that a senior officer of technical supervision over the repair of the barracks has been reported on suspicion.

< p>January 31, Vitaly Shabunin, chairman of the board of the pulp and paper mill, said that Alexander Liev is responsible for the armed contracts of the Ministry of Defense. Shabunin wrote that Liev blocked the access of the Armed Forces of Ukraine to Ukrainian lighthouses, called for “hearing Crimea”, supported the “referendum”, and then the occupation of the peninsula.

In response, Liev said that the information of the TsBK that he allegedly supported the occupation of Crimea was a “fabricated stuff” that distracts him from work and is directed not so much against himself as against the Minister of Defense.

Alexander Liev/Photo by Radio Liberty

Liev alsowrote his resignation and noted that he did it in order “not to harm Defense Minister” Reznikov .

On February 1, Deputy Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on National Security, Defense and Intelligence, Marianna Bezugla, also said that Liev had written a letter of resignation. On February 3, the Ministry of Defense confirmed that Liev had resigned of his own free will.

The Ministry stressed thatthere is no data on a Russian passport in Lievo. Also, the Ukrainian Pravda publication apologized to Liev because of the publication of false information about his Russian passport.

During a search of the former Deputy Minister Alexander Mironyuk, a huge amount of money was found in the sofa. Until his dismissal in 2021, Mironyuk oversaw the procurement department. This officialis also involved in the bulletproof vest case.

During the searches, 17 million 78 thousand hryvnias, 400 thousand 100 dollars and 100 thousand 380 euros were found at Mironyuk.

< p>Searchs of ex-deputy defense minister Mironyuk: video

According to the decision of the investigator, this money was considered material evidence in criminal proceedings.

According to media reports, after the searches, Mironyuk provided the court with a “document” that the money from the sofa was not his – in a notarized statement concluded a week after the searches, it was said that in January 2022, all the seized money was lent to Mironyuk by 86-year-old resident of Kharkov Eleonora Dumenshe.

Journalists found out that Duminsh is a relative of the founders of Kharkiv “XADO-Holding”, which, among other things, produces rifles.

On January 23, a meeting of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Security, Defense and Intelligence on the situation with the procurement of food services for military personnel was held. Head of the Defense Committee of the Verkhovna Rada Oleksandr Zavitnevich said thatit is too early to talk about personnel changes in the Ministry of Defense.

When all the information is available, then it will be possible to talk about something specific, about some personnel changes,” Zavitnevich said.

Commander-in-Chief Valery Zaluzhny on January 25 commented on the “food” scandal for the first time. He stated that in the Ministry of Defense and the Armed Forces of Ukraine there iszero tolerance for corruption.

At the same time, Zaluzhny noted that the transfer of responsibility or guilt of subordinates to leaders not only harms the cause, but and contrary to NATO governance principles.

Defense Minister Alexei Reznikov/Photo AP

Against the backdrop of scandals, Defense Minister Alexei Reznikov said that the department had already developed a plan to partially open public procurement to the public. Some of the information will be published on their website.

The head of the Servant of the People faction in the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, David Arakhamia, said that some of the scandals were absolutely justified and received court decisions. At the same time, Arakhamia urged not to rule out thatRussia may be behind some scandals.

And some, given the time, facts and circumstances, are quite may be inspired by our enemy,” said Arakhamia.

President Vladimir Zelensky also reacted to the scandals on January 23. In an address to Ukrainians, Zelensky announced a week of “appropriate decisions”.

“We will look into each situation in detail. As for energy and procurement. As for relations between the central government and regions. What concerns procurement for the military,” the head of state said

Leave a Reply