NASA reveals no damage to the ISS due to the incident with the module “Science”

Science, technology and technology news

NASA has not yet recorded damage due to the freelance activation of the engines of the Nauka module after docking with the International Space Station (ISS). Russia will lead the investigation into the incident. NASA has decided to postpone Boeing's CST-100 Starliner test flight to the ISS.

“We have not noticed any damage to the ISS. We will check all telemetry data in the near future, but so far we do not see anything, ”said the head of the US ISS program Joel Montalbano at a telephone press conference (quoted by TASS). The ISS crew did not register any shaking or something like that. Mr. Montalbano noted that the team “did not feel any movement.” “The first thing I saw was automation on Earth,” he added (quoted by RIA Novosti).

The head of Roscosmos Dmitry Rogozin claims that everything is in order. “There is order on the ISS. The crew is resting. And I advise you, ”he wrote on Twitter. At the same time, Mr. Rogozin did not specify whether this comment relates to the incident with the freelance switching on of the Nauka engines.

NASA decided on July 30 not to launch the Starliner spacecraft due to an incident on the ISS. It will take place no earlier than 3 August. “Based on the current situation, we considered it inappropriate to launch,” said NASA Commercial Flight Program Manager Steve Stich.

After docking with the ISS on Nauka, the engines were switched on abnormally, which led to a 45 ° rotation of the station. To compensate for the deviation in the positioning of the ISS, the engines on the Zvezda modules and on the Progress MS-17 spacecraft docked to the Search module were turned on during the incident. The engines of Nauka were turned off. Roscosmos has not yet commented on the incident.

Read also:

Leave a Reply