On January 20, during Ramstein, German citizens protested, demanding that the authorities provide Ukraine with battle tanks. The action was organized by the Free Democratic Party of Germany.
On the occasion of the traditional meeting of the Free Democrats at the Stuttgart State Opera, young liberals held a rally. They called on the federal government and Chancellor Scholz to continue the announced delivery of Marder tanks.
Ukraine's victory will restore order in Europe
The federal head of the Young liberals” Franziska Brandmann.
She noted that everyone who wants to end the war must give Ukraine what it needs to win, because only a Ukrainian victory will restore the European peace order. The head of the liberals urged the chancellor to give Germany's interests more importance than he does now.
Everyone who says he wants to move in unison with Western partners must be ready to move himself. So we expect the federal government in the future to be willing to take responsibility and take the lead in agreements with our allies, rather than just giving in at the last possible moment,” Brandmann said.
Protests in Germany/Photo by Imago
How Ukraine reacted
Deputy Foreign Minister of Ukraine Andriy Melnyk demands from the new German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius that the federal government does not resist the supply of Leopard tanks.
“We urge the new Minister of Defense Boris Pistorius to stop today this tank puppet show in Ramstein and immediately start deliveries of German Leopards,” Melnik said.
He also added that it is not too late for Germany to show true leadership in strengthening Ukraine.
Ramstein Meeting: Results
- On January 20, during the next meeting in the Ramstein format, the decision on the supply of tanks to Ukraine was not approved. Although Ukraine really needs this equipment.
- German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said that there is no single approach to the supply of tanks to Ukraine. He is sure that the decision will be made in the short term, but it remains with the chancellor.
- Pistorius claims that the impression that there is a coalition where only Germany will interfere is deceptive.
- Despite Germany promises to provide Ukraine with a 1 billion euro military aid package in the spring of 2023. Berlin promises not to stop at supporting Ukraine.
- Pistorius said that the aid package will include 40 Marder infantry fighting vehicles, 7 Gepard self-propelled anti-aircraft artillery mounts, additional guided missiles for the Iris-T air defense system and another anti-aircraft missile system Iris-T.