The Russians occupied a bridgehead west of the river in Bakhmut: the invaders faced a difficult choice
The Russian occupiers have in recent days entrenched themselves to the west of the Bakhmutka River. The occupying forces are depleted, resulting in the slowest pace of their operations since January 2023.
This is stated in the intelligence review of the Ministry of Defense of Britain on March 17. The report says that Russian troops have temporarily depleted the combat capability of deployed formations in Ukraine, resulting in one of the slowest rates of offensive operations since at least January 2023.
Commanders were faced with a choice between attack and defense.
The British department separately noted the situation in Bakhmut. There, in recent days, Russian troops and Wagner PMC groups have entrenched themselves west of the Bakhmutka River.
Last week the front line passed along the river. Today, the Armed Forces of Ukraine continue to defend the western part of the city, the review says.
However, in a broader sense, the British Ministry of Defense noted, along the entire front line, Russia has one of the lowest rates of local offensives that have been observed since at least January 2023.
Most likely, this is due to the fact that Russian troops have temporarily depleted the combat capability of deployed formations to such an extent that even local offensive actions are not sustainable, British intelligence officers explained.
The Ministry of Defense emphasizes that the Russian leadership is likely to try to restore the offensive potential of the forces after replenishing the stocks of personnel and ammunition.
In the meantime, commanders are likely to be forced to choose between offensive operations and reliable defense along the entire front line.
Map of hostilities in Bakhmut
What is the situation near Bakhmut
- According to the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, over the past day in the Bakhmut direction, the enemy did not abandon attempts to storm the city of Bakhmut. The Ukrainian Defense Forces repelled numerous enemy attacks in the areas of the settlements of Orekhovo-Vasilovka, Bakhmut, Ivanovskoye and Grigorovka.
- More than 15 settlements near the collision line, including Bakhmut, were subjected to enemy shelling.
- The Russian military has been trying to cordon off Bakhmut for several months now. To do this, Russia throws a lot of manpower and equipment into battle, which it quickly loses.
- The Chief of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, commenting on the situation near Bakhmut, said that the Russian invaders had achieved tactical successes at a great cost. At the same time, he stressed that Ukraine has a reliable defense and pinned down Russian forces in Bakhmut.
- According to Milli, fierce fighting is going on in Bakhmut and around the city.