There is a big warning, – the lawyer explained that in the future it may prevent the appointment of the head of the SAP
Shcherban on the appointment of the head of the SAP/Collage of Channel 24
In Ukraine, there is still no head of the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office. The competition took place six months ago, and only on July 19 the Commission approved the victory of Alexander Klimenko. But experts say that the appointment of the head of the SAPO may continue to be hindered.
Elena Shcherban, a lawyer with the Anti-Corruption Action Center, told Channel 24 about this. She stressed that the announcement of the winner does not mean that the head of the SAPO will appear tomorrow.
According to her, the Commission had to do two things – approve the results of the competition and send his candidacy for the appointment of the Prosecutor General.< /p>
However, according to the lawyer, it is not surprising how long the Prosecutor General will approve Klymenko's candidacy for the position of head of the SAP.
. That is, it can actually go on indefinitely,” Shcherban says.
She added that this is especially a problem, because from next week OSU is headed by Aleksey Simomenko, who is associated with Tatarov.
< p dir="ltr">“But it was Klimenko who investigated the case of Tatarov and wrote him a suspicion. Therefore, a big warning that Symonenko, heading the Office of the Prosecutor General, will not provide this confirmation to the commission,” the lawyer emphasized.
Can the acting Prosecutor General appoint the head of the SAP? According to Elena Shcherban, there will be an attempt to play for time, because there is still no court decision on this case.
She believes that the authorities may be waiting for this decision in order to use it as an excuse not to appoint the head of the SAP.
they will immediately try to fire him, including by this court decision,” the lawyer replied.
What is known about Alexey Klymenko
- On July 19, 2022, the SAPO commission nevertheless approved the winner of the competition for the position of head of the SAPO – it was Oleksandr Klymenko, who scored 246 points in December 2021.
- Oleksandr Klymenko is 35 years old, he graduated from the National Law Academy named after Yaroslav the Wise in Kharkov. Since 2010, he began working in law enforcement agencies in Kyiv as an investigator, and then as a senior investigator.
- Since November 2015, he worked as a senior investigator in the National Police. Handled cases of embezzlement, in particular, investigated the case of Ukrzaliznytsia.
- In 2016, he took part in the competition for the recruitment of detectives to the National Anti-Corruption Bureau and, based on the results, received a position there. Subsequently, he was promoted to a senior detective, and since 2017 he headed the department.
It is known that while working at NABU Klymenko investigated high-profile cases , in particular, those associated with such high-ranking officials:
- ex-people's deputy Alexander Onishchenko;
- ex-member of the State Fiscal Service Roman Nasirov;
- Andriy Yermak's deputy Oleg Tatarov;
- former Deputy Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Oleg Gladkovsky.
What SAP does: the main thing
- A specialized anti-corruption prosecutor's office was created in Ukraine in 2015. The formation of this body was part of the anti-corruption reform.
- In fact, this is a structural unit of the Office of the Prosecutor General, which at the same time should be independent of him.
- The SAP deals with cases of corruption proceedings against the highest echelons of power, as well as high-ranking officials of judicial and executive bodies.
- The National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU) is directly involved in the investigation of these cases, but it is SAP that looks after them, appoints prosecutors and signs suspicions on defendants in the proceedings.< /li>