The European Football Union has tightened its threat against the remaining three founding members of the failed Super League. The continental association said on Friday that all rights were reserved to take appropriate action and that the matter would be referred to the relevant UEFA disciplinary bodies. Out of the original dozen, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Juventus Turin have so far not given up their Super League ambitions.
UEFA left the possible concrete consequences open. The other nine founding members of the league competing with the Champions League, however, made a declaration that they would continue to participate in the UEFA European Cup. These nine clubs would have accepted “that the Super League project was a mistake,” the statement said. The clubs will make a donation of 15 million euros for children, youth and amateur football and will also make five percent of their income from the European Cup available for redistribution for one season.
“As they accept their commitment and are willing to repair the disruption they caused, UEFA wants to leave this chapter behind and move forward in a positive spirit,” said UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin.
Twelve European top clubs had shocked three weeks ago with the publication of their plans for a Super League Football Europe. UEFA sharply criticized these plans, as did the world governing body (FIFA) and a number of national leagues and associations. The six English clubs involved – Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal – Atletico Madrid as well as the Milanese clubs Inter and AC Milan had quickly said goodbye to the plans after massive opposition from their fans and politicians, among other things.