US and German defense departments fail to agree on tanks for Ukraine – CNN
Washington and Berlin could not agree on the Leopard 2 tanks. The discussion took place on January 19 between defense ministers Lloyd Austin and Boris Pistorius.
The publication learned about the results of the talks from US officials familiar with the situation. The information was made public on January 20, the day of the eighth meeting of the defense ministers of the allied countries in the Ramstein format.
What is known about the US-Germany talks
It would be strange if Germany changed its mind, despite pressure from Lloyd Austin, – said one of the interlocutors of the publication.
That is why, by the morning of January 20, the issue of tanks still remains unresolved.
Although journalists reported that a senior US defense official had stated before the meeting that the US was very optimistic about making progress on the issue of tanks.
What is the discussion between the US and Germany
Germany has repeatedly stated , which will allow German-made Leopard tanks to be sent to Ukraine only after the United States agrees to transfer its own Abrams tanks to Kyiv.
In response, the United States explained that they did not plan to supply Abrams because they were difficult to maintain. According to the Pentagon, the tank requires special fuel, while the Leopard and Challenger have a different engine, they need a diesel, so they are a little easier to hold.
Latest news on the transfer of tanks
- 19 In January, Reuters wrote that the United States would put pressure on the new German defense minister to make Berlin decide to transfer Leopard tanks to Ukraine
- In the evening of the same day, the head of the German Defense Ministry said that the supply of Abrams is not a condition for transferring Leopard to Ukraine. Boris Pistorius promised that an answer to the tanks would be provided in the next few days. However, he does not know what it will be.
- According to the German Minister of Defense, no one excludes the possibility of supplying Leopard tanks or that agreement will be approved for the supply of other European partners.
- Should recall that Poland promised to provide Ukraine with approximately 14 Leopard tanks. This requires the approval of Germany, because these are tanks of its production.
- At the same time, Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki hinted that Poland may not ask Germany's permission regarding the transfer of the Leopard.