What do you think, Putin: Poland will build a military base near the border with Russia
Poland announced the construction of a military base in the city of Olecko, which is located near the border with Russia. They are convinced that this will not only help strengthen the security of the region, but also give an economic impetus.
This is reported by Wprost, referring to a statement by Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak.
Military base will be built in Olecko
I have very good news for you, very good information. At the end of this year, a military unit will be created in Olecko. The military unit there (in Olecko – Channel 24) means safety for the inhabitants of the city itself, as well as for the entire voivodeship … The military unit is always good for the local community, he said.
According to him, the construction of a military base will begin in April. It is planned to be built quickly.
He added that the personnel, which will be located on the territory of the military unit, will be included in the first Warmian artillery brigade.
The headquarters of this brigade is located in Węgorzewo, said Mariusz Blaszczak.
Poland creates the largest land army in Europe
- Poland is beginning the most in 50 years to rearm its army. The country will spend 4% of GDP on defense. These expenses are double what NATO member countries need. This is in response to the growing threat from Russia.
- Only the 11th Artillery Regiment of Poland received 24 South Korean-made K9 self-propelled howitzers in December 2022. They can hit targets up to 34 miles away.
- In addition, Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak explained that Russia's full-scale attack on Ukraine and the unpredictable nature of Vladimir Putin's actions showed that the country needs to speed up the modernization of equipment.
- Moreover, Poland has plans to double the size of the Polish army to 300 thousand people. This decision will turn Warsaw into Europe's largest military state in terms of manpower to the west of Ukraine.
- It should be noted that by 2035 the country plans to spend approximately 85 billion pounds (more than 100 billion dollars) on weapons. Moreover, the defense budget for 2023 is a record $26 billion.