When Ukraine will start negotiations on EU membership: the ambassador announced the deadlines
Ukraine continues to work on the implementation of the recommendations of the European Commission on our country's accession to the EU. These political reforms are a top priority.
An interim assessment by the European Commission on the implementation of the 7 recommendations may be already in the spring. The representative of Ukraine to the EU Vsevolod Chentsov announced this in a comment to Channel 24 .
When Ukraine will start negotiations on EU membership
According to Chentsov, now Ukraine is working on the implementation of 7 recommendations of the European Commission. It is the completion of the political reforms necessary to start accession negotiations that is the top priority.
We expect an interim assessment of the EC on the implementation of 7 recommendations in the spring in order to be able to complete their implementation and receive an approving assessment as part of the expansion package this fall, the ambassador said.
Thus, based on the results, Ukraine hopes to move on to the beginning of the negotiation process on membership as early as the end of 2023.
Chentsov added that the Ukrainian team is working proactively to move quickly and efficiently on the adaptation of Ukrainian legislation as part of the membership negotiation process.
Ukraine's accession to the EU: what is known
- On March 6, Ukraine complied with all 7 EU recommendations. This was preceded by the appointment of a new director of NABU, Semyon Krivonos.
- The European Union has agreed to provide Ukraine with an interim assessment of its fulfillment of the seven criteria received with candidate status. This move by Brussels should speed up negotiations with Ukraine on EU accession.
- President Volodymyr Zelensky has said it is the goal of the Ukrainians to start negotiations on membership in 2023.
- Recall that Ukraine applied for EU membership on February 28, 2022.
- On June 23, 2022, Ukraine officially acquired the status of a candidate member of the European Union.