Zelensky signed a law on compensation for destroyed and damaged housing: how to get it
In February, the Verkhovna Rada adopted a law on compensation for destroyed and damaged housing. On March 18, the President signed it.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy signed bill No. 7198 on compensation for destroyed housing, approved by the Verkhovna Rada on February 23, 2023.
What does the law provide
The law defines the list of recipients of compensation for destroyed and damaged housing, the types of compensation, the method of assessing and deciding on the provision, as well as the possibility of using it to obtain new housing.
It is important that citizens who have lost their homes will be able to choose their own housing, regardless of its location, and the state will transfer funds to the seller of housing.
Who can get compensation
- Owners of apartments, other residential premises, private, garden and country houses;
- Customers for the construction of private, garden and country houses (individuals);
- Individuals who have invested/financed construction;
- Members of housing cooperatives who bought housing, but did not register ownership of it;
- The heirs of the above people.
- Also, condominiums, managers, housing cooperatives have the right to compensation. This applies to the renewal of the common property of an apartment building.
How to apply
The mechanism for obtaining compensation will take place in several stages:
- The first stage is the submission of an application for housing destroyed as a result of hostilities. The application can be submitted through the action, TsNAP, social security authorities or a notary;
- The second stage – consideration of the application, inspection of the destroyed housing and determination of the amount of compensation;
- The third stage is the decision to grant it. The procedure takes 30 days.
Reference. It is estimated that more than 1 million Ukrainians have been left homeless as a result of Russian aggression. As of the beginning of March, Ukrainians have already filed 335,000 applications for damage or destruction of housing through the Diya portal. The greatest destruction was declared in the Donetsk, Kharkov and Kyiv regions.
Where Ukraine will take the funds for compensation
There are a number of sources from where Ukraine will provide people with compensation for destroyed housing.
- Property and Destroyed Infrastructure Recovery Fund
- Funds from the state and local budgets
- Funds from IFIs, other lenders and investors
- International technical, repayable or non-repayable financial assistance
- Reparations or other penalties from Russia.